View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #88 (permalink)
Blue Z34
Base Member

Drives: 15 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Blue Z34 is on a distinguished road

I thought I'd share my experience with this. I'm on my second 370Z. Upgraded from my 09' Monterey Blue Sport Touring (no nav) to a 15' Solid Red Nismo Tech. I ran out of gas one time in the blue one. I had it towed to the dealer and they started it right up with 57 miles reading on the range computer. The same as it was when it stalled on the side of the road after I had just taken a slightly hard right turn. Obviously I would find out later that this was the issue. I have buddy of mine that this happened to just recently in his 09' Sport Touring (w nav) and sure enough it was right after a long sweeping right hand off ramp. So it's definitely an issue with low fuel and hard right turns. But what no one has mentioned on this thread yet is I think the issue has been addressed by Nissan, at least somewhat.

In my 09' Z I used to be able to fill the tank to the full 19.5 gallons at the pump regularly. With my 15', I've never been able to fill it passed 17 gallons, ever... not once my my almost 3 years of owning it. My range is also no where near as high as it used to get with my old Z either. After a fill up in my old Z it would read somewhere between 350-400miles. Now when I fill up I'm lucky if it reads anything over 300 miles. My driving style hasn't changed and neither have my habits of letting it drop to between 45 miles and "---" before fill ups either.

Now I'm sure Nissan didn't give the newer Zs a smaller gas tank-I've looked this up to be sure and they haven't. Plus I couldn't imagine them changing the gas tank since they haven't touched any other mechanical hardware in the 9+ years it's been in production lol. So the only explanation is that they've recalibrated the range computer to show the low fuel warning when it has 2.5-3 extra gallons of fuel instead of whatever it was set at before (probably between 1-2 gallons). The gauge itself is still as inaccurate as ever (going from 50 miles to "---" after like 10 miles of driving). But at least it seems like they've slapped a bandaid on the issue.

I figure a person with a newer Z would probably never check this thread to confirm or say all this because they more than likely have never experienced the issue since I haven't now with my Nismo. But since I've had both an 09' and a 15' I can speak from both sides. If anyone else has a newer Z or has had both maybe they can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk