Thread: Cold air intake
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Posted in your other thread too, but it's easy enough to copy/paste.

Op, here's the real breakdown of mods vs. warranty. I didn't want to type this yet again, but there's enough misinformation being spread in your threads that needs to be nipped in the bud. So, here goes:

Your warranty is not determined by your dealer. It is with Nissan North America. With very few exceptions beyond the scope of your questions, your warranty cannot be voided. Period. A warranty claim, however, can be denied. A denied warranty claim does not affect the overall warranty, just that one claim will not be repaired free.

So, here's how mods affect your warranty - A warranty claim can be denied due to mods if the mod or its installation caused the claim. For example, if you install an oil cooler and it somehow pukes your oil all over the road, the warranty claim for a blown motor will be denied. They must be able to draw a straight line from the mod to the failure. That means that, if you install that same oil cooler and your rear diff blows up, the diff will be covered.

So, here's where you have to make a risk analysis - do you feel comfortable modifying a car where an individual warranty claim may be denied due to a mod? The likelihood of a serious failure on a NA Z is low. The vast majority of users here run the standard CAI/TP/CBE/Tune combo, and failures that do not involve owner error or lack of maintenance are rare.

What would I do if I was in your position? I would run the car bone stock for the first 5k or so. Sometimes you get a lemon, and you'll know early enough if you did. No sense in giving the dealer an easy out to deny a legit claim. Once you have enough miles on the car to know you were not sold a defective unit, mod away. This was exactly what I did. Stock for 5k miles, and then very, very far from stock after that. My dealer even installed the mods. And when I had a warranty claim, they smiled, fixed it and handed be a bill for $0.00 since it was not related to the mods.

Well then, what happens if I mod the car and the dealer tells me the claim is denied based on mods but I know they're wrong? I just find another dealer. Believe it or not, mod-friendly dealers do exist. Ask around here in your regional subforum to find if there's on in your area.