View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
speedworks
Track Member

Drives: PW purchased 01/09
speedworks is on a distinguished road

Springs will be fine, but remember with coilovers the shocks and springs are matched (or at least they should be). In coilovers, the shocks are designed (valved for compression and rebound) around the spring rates vs with just springs, you will use the oem shocks or aftermarkets (koni, kgbs, etc), and since they aren't designed together, they will either fail earlier (can't handle the difference in performance), or won't feel exactly right. I have had springs with aftermarket shocks on many sports cars, and it is an affordable way to go, but they are usually not as smooth or comfortable (sometimes even jittery). I lot of design goes into the way shocks and springs work together, and when mismatched, they don't work exactly like they should. On the otherhand, an affordable coilover, of which I have been looking at, and others on this forum have talked positive about is the BC Racing BRs (under 1k). Good luck with whichever route you go. For what it is worth, I think the Eibachs or H&Rs are the best.
speedworks is offline   Reply With Quote