View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
zer099
Base Member

Drives: '98 200sx; '09 G37x
zer099 is on a distinguished road

The 501ERL? Yea, that's a sexy one. I like the option of a sensor port in it, that it is rebuildable, and one would conclude that larger inlet/outlets would dictate larger passageways. That said I think the tranny lines are only 3/8th" and 5/16th". 5/8th" (10AN) is a big size jump. My biggest question is the return flow characteristics on both of them when the thermostat is closed, or if it even matters.

I've used Derale products a lot, all three of my heat exchanges are made by them. Never had an issue with them and they have done their job; that of course does not mean they are perfect, just an opinion. I have never used their (derale's) in-line thermostat. I have read the same bad reviews. I think with all bad reviews you have to try to look at it from all angles. The derale unit is a good deal cheaper then the alternatives meaning they most likely sell a crap ton more, which means more statistical odds of bad things happening. Again, opinion. I do like that Earl unit, and I've never had an issue with their fittings.