View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #64 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

southzz,

Hard top racks that have casters and roll on the floor are not new. Owners of 55 -57 Thunderbirds can purchase them from many specific suppliers, as well as the older 350 SL Mercedes owners, and even the new Thunderbirds 2002 - 2004?

Anyone with any skills at all could easily make one up from steel tubing or even wood, line it with rubber padding, and roll the top off into a garage corner. Anyone interested needs to look up an online Thunderbird supplier's online catalogue to see photos of the rack, and copy it accordingly.

I've also seen the overhead pulley system for hard top storage online, and helped a local friend build one for his MGB, using a hand crank from an old boat trailer as the winding and brake mechanism. Again, rope, pulleys and wood were all that was needed.

And yes, to prevent top or car damage, installing and removing a hard top is a two person job. Ask one of my friends how I know.

Gene
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote