View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
zashburn
Base Member

Drives: 13' 370Z Pearl 6MT
zashburn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhovah View Post
For sure. Super nice guy, btw.... helped me test my laser jammers. Best cop on the forum!

Overall, it's a good idea to go completely overboard with heat protection. My engine compartment is so crinkly/shiny with the stuff that it looks like it's covered in aluminum foil to keep the aliens/government from reading its thoughts.

I do wonder about the turbo blanket though. Highly effective in keeping the heat from the turbine from damaging other things, but Corky Bell believe's that they significantly reduce the life of the turbo itself. This may be different in the case of the COMP since the bearings are ceramic and can handle a lot of heat... Just some food for thought. OP, I am not saying you should go without it... That is another thing solidus found out the hard way when the heat from his turbine melted his engine wiring harness. That guy has had some bad luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhovah View Post
My engine compartment is so crinkly/shiny with the stuff that it looks like it's covered in aluminum foil to keep the aliens/government from reading its thoughts.
I got a kick out of that one Absolutely will do on the heat management, I'm currently making a list of everything that I hadn't already thought of. Goes without saying that I want to do everything I can to prevent running into similar problems.

I was a bit skeptical about the blanket myself. But, my thought is with max 12lbs of boost there won't be enough heat accumulation at the turbine for the bag to actually be problematic. & as long as It's not reaching any critical temps it should just be like any other heat cycle...? Idk. I guess only time will tell.

Frank will actually be doing the install & the tune for me. As an engineering student it kind of kills me not to do the install myself as this whole get up here is a wonderful real world application of concepts in many of my courses (thermo, fluids, heat & mass transfer, process control, etc...) and well, I do love to put things together / see how they work. BUT Frank is just an amazing mechanic. He's done the install/tune on 2-3 BP turbo's already which, as far as I've heard, are all running flawlessly. Because this is my only ride I want everything done perfectly, and I trust him a lot more than I trust myself. Very glad that I have him close by for the tune as well; Great guy and his work is outstanding.

Also NBD. If its talk about the Z's it's on topic as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by zashburn; 04-28-2017 at 03:16 PM.
zashburn is offline   Reply With Quote