View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #138 (permalink)
madwi
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Granma red Z
madwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvette View Post
It's a good thing I have a blue car, the paint challenges aren't as visible.

( Click to show/hide )

I had bought a Porter Cable D/A and some pads so I could attempt to fix some places the body shop didn't do a good job buffing. Well, I didn't get the right pads (figures) nor do I have the right materials to help fix the issues.

I ordered a green and yellow pad from Chemical Guys, according to the descriptions on both, that is what is required to take out medium scratches. Apparently the white one I have isn't the right pad. I thought that the white one with polishing compound would take care of the challenges. Nope....

Which brings up the next difficulty, what setting on the speed control? I'm kinda leery of using 6 (the max speed), I figure around 3 or 4 is probably a good starting point because I don't want to burn the paint. I did remember to not put pressure on the buffer, so I think I'm okay there.

Recommendations on chemicals? The car has some hard water spots (which I think will come up with a clay bar), but there are lots & lots of swirls and what I think are spots that weren't properly buffed out at the body shop. I tried some Turtle Wax white polishing compound, but all I had was the paste and it didn't work real well.

HELP!!!!!
put the PC on 5. apply enough pressure to keep the pad just spinning. Too much pressure results in it just kinda vibrating around, not effective. let the polish do its job and you should get results.