View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #154 (permalink)
fstrnldr
Base Member

Drives: Canyonero
fstrnldr is on a distinguished road

Vortech's pieces do not seem to have the best reliability by a long shot. There are countless threads on them having bearing problems. Seems like they work well on the larger displacement domestic engines because they generally don't have as high of a rev limit. The import or smaller displacement engines are usually built to rev, and the vortech units don't seem to like this. The good news is that the new units are self contained oiling systems, so if they do grenade at least its not dumping bearing shrapnel back into your oil pan like the older units did. Gives you at least a chance of your engine surviving when it goes out. The other thing with the Vortech unit is the noise, these things are always so damn loud compared to the Rotrex. I know that not an issue for everyone, but for me i just could not deal. I can just imagine the poor drive through working having to ask you to turn off your airplanes turbine engine so they can take your order. lol

As far as the air/water vs air/air solutions, Stillen does have some valid points, however they have left out some critical data. How large is the water system? You have to have a good amount of water (weight) on board to keep the temps down if you are running the smaller cooler like they say they are. If not the water will heat soak just like too small of an air/air IC setup will. The Toyota Celica Alltrac (GT4) had some of these issues on the factory air/water IC set ups.

Either way i'm very curious to see the end results of the this kit. I know Stillen Z/G SC kit doesn't get much praise from the 350Z crowd for the lack of power it makes. Hopefully this one does better for them!
fstrnldr is offline   Reply With Quote