View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #9772 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leingod View Post
What do you recommend as good basic tools to have on hand? Still new to this stuff....

My tools consist of a basic ratchet set with a random assortment of fittings and my first power drill lol. I really want to buy this porter cable 4 gallon shopvac I saw at Costco lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwi View Post
All depends on which way you want to go. I prefer air tools myself.
WHen it comes to tools, if it is going to be used often buy something good that will last. Stuff like impacts that need some oomph, I like to get corded vs. battery. Most good tool brands will last a lifetime or three with proper maintenance and care.
First, a monster tool box, way bigger than you think you will use. Don't worry, you'll fill it up.

Second, I'd say good tools, both standard (SAE) and metric. Granted, most of the stuff these days have metric fasteners, but every so often, you find a SAE fastener. Harbor Freight does NOT qualify as good tools. Normally, I'd say Craftsman as first choice, but since Sears sold the brand to Black & Decker, I'd wait and see what their warranty service is going to be. Most of my tools are now Snap-on, but I still have some Craftsman stuff floating in the box. The important thing is lifetime replacement warranty, you will break sockets over time.

Third, air compressor and air tools. Campbell Hausfeld makes some good stuff, just remember to buy air tool oil and put a couple of drops in the air inlet before you use the tool, it will contribute to longer life. Again, all of my air tools are Snap-on, only because they can be rebuilt for a small fee, most were so old I got new ones for 0 dollars.

Good tools aren't cheap, buy what you need as you need them is the best route (see first step..... )

Hope this helps.