Thread: Security System
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mr Ed
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
Mr Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMetal View Post
For the last 12 years, I have been driving Subaru WRXs with a rather sophisticated, integrated alarm system which came fitted by Subaru Australia in later models. I think my 370Z would be just as desirable to car thieves, joy riders and car jackers, though the lack of rear seat and boot space might make it less attractive to ram raiders .

Certainly, these security features on the WRX were not always appreciated by owners. The need to enter your code each start was considered a pain, remembering your code and punching it in on that little keypad was difficult when you were drunk , it was easy to accidentally trigger anti-hijack by mistake by unbuckling the drivers seatbelt and opening the door. But, in a very short period of time, it addressed the problem of theft of these cars.
I used to own a MY98 and MY02 WRX and on the MY02, I absolutely hated and despised the security system. It was a massive piece of sh*t. Sorry.

My mate recently bought a MY03 WRX and we nearly disabled the car. I had to help him decipher Subaru's alarm instructions.

When I was getting the stereo put in, the car alarm went into shutdown mode. It had to be towed back to Subaru for those idiots to work out what went wrong?

In the end, I took it to Subaru and asked them to disable it. All insurance needs is for a '3 point' alarm. This dumb keypad was piggy backed onto the alarm to make it a '6 point alarm'. Disabling it made it a 3 point.

To be honest, it was not a sophisticated alarm system. Many stereo installers said that it was old school / primitive.

So much so that in 2007, I chose not to buy a brand new MY07 SUbaru Impreza WRX STI and bought a FPV GT instead. I was not going to be subjected to the nonsense anymore.

I believe the current generation of STIs do not have this at all.

My advice to you is - have sufficient insurance. If someone wants to hijack you, let them take the bloody car. Your life is not worth it. If you have sufficient insurance, everything is cool.

Last edited by Mr Ed; 01-17-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Mr Ed is offline   Reply With Quote