View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
mattleegee
Base Member

Drives: 2014 4runner TE
mattleegee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoked View Post
Lease might not make sense to cheaper cars, but for more expensive cars its completely worth it. Expensive cars (60-120k) tend to lose value much quicker and hard to predict the residual value (by dealer). A few examples include Lexus GS350 and Maserati Ghibli. 30k miles 2013 GS 350 can be picked up for under 30k with original MSRP of 57-60k. There are so many units flooding the market from lease returns. The Ghibli just flat out didnt sell and dealers are discounting 33% new leftovers. In both cars, leasing 3 yrs ago would fare much better than buying, in regards to resell value.
Also if you get in an accident with a leased vehicle, you dont have to worry about diminished value when returning. If the vehicle was bought, take at least 10% off market value

That kinda makes sense but im still stuck on paying into something with no return
Lets take you example of the GS350 F sport, i went to website and picked out a base one with no additional options

Lease is 36months with $569/month plus $4799 down payment
**Excludes official fees, taxes and dealer charges. No security deposit required. 10,000 mile/year limit.
That is a total of $25,283 without fees/taxes plus any return fees.(Probably close to $35k)

And all that is thrown away unless you buy at end of lease.

Lets say $35k in 3 years pumped into lease that is almost a $1000/month car payment over 36 months, maybe the fees are lighter on the lease lets say you only spend $30k then thats $833/month that you could be pumping into an asset and when you trade it in get a sales tax break on new car purchase, and still gives you some depreciation wiggle room, or possibly positive balance towards new car.

That is just how i think about it, i maybe totally out of line
mattleegee is offline   Reply With Quote