View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
ZCanadian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370Z
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

They say that below +7 degrees C is when "3-season" tires lose their effectiveness. "They" being the people who want to sell you winter tires.
Similarly, as the asphalt gets warmer, winter tires wear more quickly.
Even when the air is warmer, keep in mind that the pavement can be pretty cold (lie down on your driveway in the shade this weekend when it's supposed to be +10, and tell me how warm it is!). And the nights are still plenty cold.

That said, my winter vehicles don't run winter tires - never have - and I've survived to a pretty ripe old age. So, if you drive reasonably, and your summer tires are not R compound, then put them on as soon as the salt and grit isn't going to damage your pretty rims.

If your summer wheels are shod in R compound rubber, then don't for any reason drive them until the temperatures are consistently warmer. From what I've been told (and I can't back it up, but I'm sure someone here can), you not only don't have the traction you should have, but you could also end up damaging the tires.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote