View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeshlavik View Post
Automatic transmissions make lousy kickstands, and doubly so with the 7AT in the 370Z as the pawl in the transmission releases brutally if there's any real weight on it.

So, proper 370Z parking technique with a 7AT is to stop the car, with your foot still on the brake pull the e-brake, put the car into neutral, take your foot off the brake and let the weight of the car settle into the e-brake, and then put it into park.

If you do this, when you get back in later and put the car into gear it will be a super smooth transition from park to another gear - versus a catastrophic sounding *BANG* as you pry the pawl out of the locking gear.
Good info ... there are idiots who don't know to do that even for MT. I've had to ream the service manager at my local Nissan dealer for his guys not knowing how to properly park a manual transmission on a hill (where more than half of the customer parking is located). They pull into the space, push the clutch in still in 1st gear, turn off car, let off clutch first so entire weight of the car pushes against the transmission, then let off the brake as they apply e-brake just lightly enough so the car doesn't continue to roll. I get the in the car to leave and hear a loud clunk as I push in the clutch pedal, and the car starts rolling backwards immediately. WTF morons!

Here's a good tip from that same dealer ... check the blinker fluid regularly!

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote