View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #67 (permalink)
RadioFlyer
Base Member

Drives: 08 G37S S/C
RadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, about the pinging -

Do you have a cold air intake? I do, so I'm not sure how this applies to the stock intake, but if you monitor your Intake Air Temps, (on something like the Torque app for android or Dash Command for iOS) you'll notice that when you sit in traffic for a while, intake temps skyrocket. Other times when I've noticed this was when I'm running errands and I park the car for a couple minutes and get back in it.

What happens is the intake pulls from the front of the radiator, or somewhere in the front of the car. It's designed to pull colder air when the car is moving, but when you stop in traffic, all of the underhood heat spills out wherever it can, and ends up going into the intake. This is heatsoak. I've seen intake temps in the 120* range in traffic or in a drive through on a 70* (ambient) day. It sometimes takes a minute or so to drop back down once you get moving. So your pinging is probably because of a +50* difference in air temp. If this happens enough, then your ECU will adjust to the temp spike under those conditions, and adjust the Long Term Fuel Trim, so it should go away eventually.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote