View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ View Post
I didn't see a reason to remove the crash bar, but to each their own. I would wait to see if you think it's in your way before removing it.

As for the AEM filter, I was looking AEM used to have a graph on their website, they've since apparently removed it, probably smart. AEM's website used to even specifically say "Many of our competitors emphasize flow as a primary means of power production in intakes.", because their primary focus was filtration, and how long they could go between cleaning intervals while still providing "enough flow requirements for the engine as designed" or something to that degree. As much as I won't touch a K&N oil filter (even though those have been improved from what they once were), I would get the air filter, and just learn how to properly oil one. It doesn't take much oil.

Definitely the time to consider an oil cooler if you've thought about one. Also have a look at this link, DIY: Force fresh air to your air box. <-- Thats on my list of things to do. Just to further force more cold air up to my Stillen intake.

Don't get the typhoon, you'll just suck in hot engine air. You'd be better off getting K&N drop in filters for your factory air box, seriously. At least your factory air box gets relatively cold air. The Stillen Intake is the "go-to" for a reason. Yes you will have to pull the bumper off roughly every 30k miles (Stillen / K&N claim 50k), however if you want the most performance from an intake, that's the price you pay. Don't want to pull the bumper, buy the drop in filters for the stock boxes.
To each their own I guess. I did it both ways first instal was with crash bar in and second was with it off while doing the oil coolers and just removing the 8 12 mm bolts makes it much easier than trying to squish the filters in without snagging the mesh on any of the upper support.

I know the graph your referring to and the flow rate difference vs filtration rate difference made more sense to me to go with the AEM, it's my DD and not a race car that I'm seeking every 1/8 a HP.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote