View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
OhioYJ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2016 370Z
OhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhill View Post
One thing I will note is that it is easier to remove the front crash bar, then fit the filters and reinstall the crash bar rather than trying to squeeze in the filters also do yourself the favor and go with the AEM dry filter option.

PS if you plan on doing any sustained aggressive driving or track days now is the time to install an oil cooler while your there.
I didn't see a reason to remove the crash bar, but to each their own. I would wait to see if you think it's in your way before removing it.

As for the AEM filter, I was looking AEM used to have a graph on their website, they've since apparently removed it, probably smart. AEM's website used to even specifically say "Many of our competitors emphasize flow as a primary means of power production in intakes.", because their primary focus was filtration, and how long they could go between cleaning intervals while still providing "enough flow requirements for the engine as designed" or something to that degree. As much as I won't touch a K&N oil filter (even though those have been improved from what they once were), I would get the air filter, and just learn how to properly oil one. It doesn't take much oil.

Definitely the time to consider an oil cooler if you've thought about one. Also have a look at this link, DIY: Force fresh air to your air box. <-- Thats on my list of things to do. Just to further force more cold air up to my Stillen intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatanna Z View Post
Yeah I think the stillen intake might be too much hassle to deal with especially since I'll have to take off the front bumper anytime I need to do cleaning... I looked into K&N typhoon intake and that seem much more easier to install and to maintain since I don't have to take the front bumper off every time I need to clean. But I don't think the K&N are near as good performance wise as stillen right?
Don't get the typhoon, you'll just suck in hot engine air. You'd be better off getting K&N drop in filters for your factory air box, seriously. At least your factory air box gets relatively cold air. The Stillen Intake is the "go-to" for a reason. Yes you will have to pull the bumper off roughly every 30k miles (Stillen / K&N claim 50k), however if you want the most performance from an intake, that's the price you pay. Don't want to pull the bumper, buy the drop in filters for the stock boxes.

Last edited by OhioYJ; 03-05-2017 at 06:55 PM.
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote