View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 05:09 AM   #9133 (permalink)
onzedge
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 240Z
onzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
Borg Warner T5. That is what they used in the 280zx turbo cars. I have one in my 1975 280zt car. The stock Nissan 5-speed would just grenade under full boost. I went through 3 before I finally found a T5. I had to bend the heck out of the shifter to make it fit.
One of my sons found this transmission in a wrecking yard a few years ago. The T5 was indeed the tranny used in the 1982 and 1983 280ZX turbo.

I traded him a 51 inch Sony rear projection TV for it. He got 3 or so year's worth of use from the TV before it died. When it did die, he and some friends took it out in the country and used it for target practice with their AR-15s.

I sat on this transmission for a long time and finally goat around to getting it checked out by my transmission guys. It was in rough shape.

It took then about 7 months to find all the parts they needed for a rebuild (synchros, bearings, seals, input and main shafts). 900 dollars later, I got it back.

For the install, I have a shift lever already fabricated, along with a short shifter. I also am having a drive shaft fabricated.

Rep Freely.