Thread: 30K Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
nis350
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z
nis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond reputenis350 has a reputation beyond repute

I too have talked to people in the industry. The tech's are paid based on the specific job so the more jobs they do, the more money they make. so they would do 16 hours of jobs within 8... the only way to do that is to cut corner and unfortunately, that usually mean skipping some of the tasks that can be easily hidden. I've seen people get charged for valve adjustment and later found out that the valve covers had never opened or new air filters that still have dead bugs.

I personally had the experience with a reputable Lexus dealer. They special ordered a center console for replacement under warranty. I put a hidden mark on the old console. When I got the car back, it was still the old console, but they adjusted it to fit properly. They charged Lexus for a new console and labor based on the receipt. I suspected that expensive new console probably was sold on eBay later on.

I also had similar bad experience with an BMW dealer for a $2k+ major service where they didn't even notice the drive belt had cracks all over. I would have taken a long trip thinking all was well and overheat that expensive M3 motor when the belt break.

so whose fault was it? I would say 80% tech and 20% dealer, for not managing the people properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too6Z View Post
I personally recommend finding an honest, independent mechanic. It requires a bit of research but they are out there and it's well worth it. This forum can be a valuable resource, that is how I found my mechanic. Dealerships are businesses in a highly competitive market and, hence, are driven to maximize profits. Their focus is on selling vehicles as much if not moreso than servicing them. You will undoubtedly pay a premium for dealer service and it is questionable if you are truly getting your money's worth relative to that premium. I have talked with several former dealer techs and was shocked to learn how low their pay scale was in light of the exorbitant labor rate that dealers charge. Some that I know have left the field entirely due to this issue. This leads me to suspect that many dealers have some difficulty retaining talented mechanics. In addition, my experience has been that dealers will often try to sell expensive and often unnecessary work. A small, independent business owner has much more incentive to establish a lasting working relationship. They rely on repeat business and word of mouth referrals. A dealership, on the other hand, has a seemingly endless stream of potential customers. A good independent shop will deal with you honestly and provide the same level of service, if not better, than any dealership. I personally only use the dealership for complementary or warranty service.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by nis350; 03-03-2017 at 11:50 PM.
nis350 is offline   Reply With Quote