View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ed_Collins
Base Member

Drives: 13 Nissan 370z MR A7
Ed_Collins is on a distinguished road
Default I bought a 370z... but it didn't come with the right key.

Greetings. Thank you in advance for any replies to my questions.

Quick story:

Two and a half years ago I purchased a used 2013 370z. I've been very happy with it. I purchased it from a Mitsubishi Dealership. Although the car was used, there were less than 3,000 miles on it, so I certainly felt like I was getting a brand new car.

Two days after I purchased it I discovered the physical key they gave me wouldn't lock or unlock the door. It just wouldn't turn. Of course I took it back to that same dealership that same day.

They confirmed it wasn't just me. Sure enough, the key didn't work. But they did not want to get in there and fiddle around with the inside of the door, to see what was causing the problem. They said it would "void all of the warranty if they did that." They suggested I take it to a Nissan Dealership, since it was still under warranty. Okay, fine.

Well, I never got around to it. After all, I didn't really "need" a physical/mechanical key. I could start, lock, and unlock the car without it. I figured I'd mention it the next time I did need to go to the dealership.

Fast forward to this past Friday. My "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light came on, on the drive to work. The manual said much of the time this is related to an emissions problem, but not necessarily so. So this morning I took it to a nearby Nissan Dealership so they could check it out.

Do you want to know WHY that "Service Engine Soon" light came on?

Yep, you might have guessed the reason. It's because I don't have the original key! That key they gave me is not the right key for this car. (THAT, of course explains why this key wouldn't lock or unlock the doors.)

Furthermore, the service advisor told me that the service engine soon light will continue to come on, and eventually it will lock me out. It will lock the steering column, I believe he said, so that I'm not able to drive the car. (Some kind of a safety feature, or something.)

Nissan can set me up with a "good" key, or course... but it will cost me about $475, with parts and labor. (That's for just one key. An additional key will cost a bit more.)

A couple of questions:

Have you heard of this? A service light coming on after 2.5 years of driving, because I don't have the original key? Any idea why it didn't come on earlier than this? (I asked my service advisor this exact question and he didn't have an answer.)

Any idea how long I have until I'm "locked out?"

Note: I WILL go STRAIGHT BACK to that Mitsubishi Dealership at my very first opportunity, (probably tomorrow) and demand, politely, that they reimburse me for the cost of getting a new key. As I recall, I spent nearly $30,000 for this car. At that price it should come with a key that isn't going to eventually lock me out. Does anyone think this is an unreasonable request? How do you think they will respond?

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.
Ed_Collins is offline   Reply With Quote