View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Nithmo
Base Member

Drives: 16 370Z Nismo 6MT
Nithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ View Post
Going in sequential order is just placing unnecessary wear and tear on those synchros, sliders and gears, if you don't plan on staying in those gears anyways. If you are just downshifting to come to a stop (on the street), don't do that, drivetrain parts are expensive, brakes are cheap.
Actually, that's not true at all. You induce less stress on the transmission components- especially the synchros, by shifting down sequentially. It's much harder on the synchros to go from, say, 4th to 2nd, as opposed to going 4th-3rd-2nd. What that does is allows the transmission speed to stay in line with the vehicle speed. I know I'm not explaining this 100%, but suffice to say, what you're suggesting is that normal shifting of gears will result in transmission failure. That's not true. The car prefers it.

Those that are saying to just clutch in and put it in neutral when coming to a stop, are correct. There is nothing wrong with that, whatsoever.

Personally, I always sequentially go down through my gears, even if I have the clutch in and I'm coming to a complete stop. It isn't necessary at all, but it's a fun little habit for me.

I come from the Honda world, where the 6MTs and some 5MTs are notorious for the 3rd gear synchro to die prematurely. One way to help reduce this from happening is rowing down through all the gears. I've yet to meet anyone who has had transmission issues if they rely on that methodology. Of course, the GM synchromesh friction modified transmission fluid also helps a ton. Those two combined result in transmissions that last a very very long time.

My TL has a 6MT as well, and it had a bit of the 3rd gear grind occurring when I bought the car (used). It still occasionally continued even after changing from Honda transmission fluid, to GMSMFM. Since I've gotten into the habit of sequentially going through gears a few years ago, I seem to never grind anymore.
Nithmo is offline   Reply With Quote