View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakmnky View Post
Tried to do a 2nd gear launch in my wife's new Nismo and................... just clutch slippage?

Really the clutch is so wimpy in this thing you can't even do a decent launch with it? I've had many many performance cars over the years and can't remember one that wouldn't launch in 2nd in stock trim and either result in a good launch, bogging the motor or tire smoke. Won't be repeating that as I really don't want to lunch the clutch in a new car. Just REALLY disappointed. Is this normal for a Nismo/Z?

The stock clutch in my vette still hangs onto a 2nd gear launch and I'm putting down 40% more power over stock.

Clutch engagement/disengagement is really high on the stroke but seems to be adjusted right as there's a little free play at the top.

More I learn about this car the more it's becoming apparent it's all about just looking fast. After 6 generations I really expected the "track" version to be sorted better. At least to the point that you didn't have to worry about things like clutch slave issues, weak clutches, diff's that don't stand up to track use, hubs that don't stand up, cooling issues for oil and power steering, fuel starvation on anything less than a full tank....

Maybe my expectations were to high but for 10K less I could buy a miata that can be tracked pretty much right off the showroom floor without issues. And before anyone tries to flame me here I've built and raced several Spec Miata's not to mention several other race cars both foreign and domestic.

The Z is a really nice looking car and has a lot of potential. Just wished Nissan would've fixed a few of the major issues that seem to have been out there for a long time. So far it's been a fun little car and the wife likes it which is what matters most.
Not sure if trolling but to compare the z to the Vette isn't really apples to apples when the base prices for the vette is still 13k more than a nismo before dealer mark up which I doubt you see on the nismo since it is not as popular but I know people were paying up to 80k when the stingray first came out at my dealer.

I will not defend the CSC on the z that is really a short coming on the z the Nissan should address. The clutch they have to be careful as too aggressive and most won't like it so they have to spec for the masses. But think how much car you can have with 13k worth of parts if you really want to compare. Having worked for GM I would rather have my z over a vette and it's issues (valve train wear).

The Miata is and always has been a great bang for buck car but there just isn't much car there.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote