View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyH View Post
When it comes down to it, everyone has their own ideas and I say take it all with a grain of salt. It is your car and you ultimately have to choose what's right for you. Personally, the list I always recommend for people I talk to is Safety, tires, brakes and an oil cooler. You've already flushed your brake fluid, so I'll skip that.

Buying a good helmet is the first thing I always suggest. No point in go-fast mods if you hurt yourself on a mistake (which will happen eventually). Eventually if you find you take to the sport, then a good seat does wonders to any track car, as well as a harness. A good seat and harness that keeps you planted has been proven to help lap times.

Next I'd go with tires. Everything everyone does to their cars performance wise, means nothing if you have bad tires. No matter how fast you are, how big your brake kit is, how expensive your coils are, it all comes down to those 4 points of contact. So make sure you don't cheap out, and buy good, new tires.

Lastly, I would get an oil cooler. I would suggest a 34 row with a thermostatic plate. No point in going smaller as long as you use the thermo plate. The oil in our Zs run very hot on track days, whether it's cold or hot, so unless you want to "embarrass" yourself hitting limp mode mid track session and having to let it cool off for 15 minutes or so till it's good to go again, I'd get one.

Other than that, I hope you take to the sport and make sure you post up the results from your first race. Good luck. Also, it never hurts to message a motor sports team with a 370Z. Most of the time, they have no problems answering any questions.
Best answer here, although maybe I wouldn't put helmet as second thing since rentals are cheap it would take quiet a few track days before justifying owning my own helmet. I do plan to get my own but not right away, I would put the oil cooler in top of the list as to hit limp mode after spending $$$ on a track day would be completely crappy.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote