View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
MoulaZ
Base Member

Drives: '09 Z34 BP Turbo V2
MoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond reputeMoulaZ has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Cats Exploded. Suggestions?

Took the car out for a short drive. Accelerated onto Freeway (WOT), at the top of 2nd car lost all power and struggled to rev, exhaust note immediately changed, went super deep and rumbly. Was blowing a bit of dust coloured smoke out the rear. Smell was very unusual, definitely not fuel or oil, sorta like breaking in a new exhaust system. Was getting check engine light flash when attempting to rev during those few seconds, but very oddly no error code actually stuck/stored when I checked a little later.

Pulled over and shut it off. Waited 5 minutes, started it up again, struggled to start the first time. Got it fired up and idled a little rough. Shut it off, waited 30 mins, fired it up again and it started almost completely normal, was able to rev resonably well but still very slight dust coloured smoke out the rear. Turned it off.

Got out and looked into the exhaust pipes and saw very fine dust-like sediment in the tips. Catalytic Temp Sensor used to give me 400-600c, now it's stuck on 28-32c. Got it towed home to be safe, dropped it off on the street in front of my house, fired it up and drove it into garage like nothing ever happened.

TL: DR = Fairly confident I've blown my stock Cats. Have OEM Cats. Need new Cats for Vortech SC setup. What are people going with? Heard HFC are just as worse as the Stock Cats. What about Test Pipes, what's the noise like with them? Rough prices or good suppliers? Any info appreciated.

Stilen SC @ ~10psi
Stock Headers
Stock Cats
Motordyne CBE
MoulaZ is offline   Reply With Quote