View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Minor correction to what was said here...everything else makes sense. 18's looking crappy on a Z is totally subjective though (I love my 18x10 VMR 810's).

Although this sounds counter intuitive, 370z's need the stiffest swaybar possible in the front and least stiff/no sway bar whatsoever in the rear. This has been confirmed by several sources here, Doran Racing (campaigned the 370z in the Grand AM/IMSA Continental Tire Series), BJ Zacharias(user: Dwnshift), former Nissan GT Academy Winner and Driver for Doran/Nissan (Steven Doherty), users: ClintFocus, martin82, GS1388, myself and a few others are running this setup and it works well.

My understanding is that this is done because of the suspension geometry of the Z34, it's just different than most other FR cars. I don't know the exact science behind it, but my theory is that what happens is a big sway up front neutralizes the roll by keeping those front wheels planted when loading up the suspension on turn in and under deceleration.

Reducing the stiffness in the rear allows the body to roll and probably keeps wight transfer more progressive...perhaps the Z34 is stiff enough in the rear as it is? Feedback from guys running stiff rear sways is that the car oversteers hard and becomes a handful.

My recommendation is to run the stock setup first see how it feels...get a front sway bar or a front and rear pair (i recommend Hotchkis). Try it with the front bar on the car, then try it with the rear.

Hope this helps.
I see this a lot too and find it odd as I still feel the car understeers with two bars, however it is a ton better and like it a lot but I am not super fast (still new). I also think it depends a lot on your total setup including alignment. a super stiff front bar will not allow roll as you say which can be good for racing purpose with an aggressive camber angle but if running more a street/track angle then you will eliminate the - camber gain through the SLA suspension and could potentially hurt performance, also if not running slicks you can overpower the tires etc. My opinion from what I have heard is I would compromise somewhere in the middle, I chose stillen but I have heard the eibachs are very good too.

and yes I would say try stock first, then bars and last coilovers. Bars alone made a huge difference and made the car much more neutral right away.

and yes poster above lift off oversteer is scary as hell lol but I kind of got used to it in old car as that is how you can cut the turn in FWD which actually seems more tail happy than my Z, but it is a slide for live feel and thankfully have not had it happen in the Z.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote