View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Firebase99
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 3.8 Gen Coupe GT
Firebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280z/300zx View Post
I've been a Z owner since I was 17. Started with an 84 300zx (still own it), then when I was 18 I bought a 280z (still own it). Bought an 09 370z touring sport and after a wreck I replaced it with a 2010 NISMO. In 2014 I replaced it with a 2012 Grand sport Vette that only had 2200 miles on it. Didn't want the C7 at the time and always loved the C6 GS.

In my opinion the C6 GS is obviously faster, handles every bit as good as the Z in tight turns but at high speed turns the Vette is better (I'm assuming due to the wheel base), the interior is quiter, and the Vette is so much easier to have fun with. One of my biggest issues with the Z with the VDC was too strong for daily driving. Wouldn't let you have any fun, but with it off was not safe for daily driving. The Vette's system allows you to get the back end out or spin the tires with in reason, but will kick in should you get into trouble. Nissan really needs to take a lesson from chevy on this issues

The Z did have better materials compared to the Vette, but fit and finish in my opinion is the same. My NISMO rattled all the time on the fwy due to the harsh suspension. The Touring Z was better and more similar to the Vette.

As far as reliability, the Vette has been problem free except for the known fuel leak issue. The connector at the top of the fuel pump tends to crack with age. Chevy has some funky VIN coverage on this where some cars are covered and others aren't. Mine wasn't so I had to pay out of pocket. The harmonic balancer issue is typically only on the early models. The 05-06 also had issues with the rear diff and half shafts. For the most part I'd say the Vette has issues just as the Z does. I don't think any car is perfect. I also don't think the Z is any more problem free than the Vette. While I had my 370z I never had a single problem, but I'm sure if I still had my 2010 I would have had the steering lock issue by now.

Overall, I'm happy about the switch from the Z to the Vette. Being I bought used I only paid slightly more than what I paid for my NISMO and in the end I got a much faster car that is also more fun to drive, without have to sacrifice anything of importance. Both cars are low and scrape very easily, but the Vette is even more so given the GS has the lower lip piece.

My plan is later this year to upgrade to a 2018 GS Vette now that they are out.
Yea, what he said. The ONLY thing I cant stand, well maybe not CANT stand isnt accurate, dislike very much, is C6 interior. Albeit its better than the C5, but thats the lowest bar possible as a public toilet is better appointed. Im talking porta potty stuff too. First world issues huh? Boo-hoo.