View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Halfkiddio
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 RAE 370Z
Halfkiddio will become famous soon enough

Alright. Lets start at the top of your list, since that is the easiest.

*What spring rates you run depends on what the motion ratio equation comes up with for a given chassis, and what corner weights you have (I know it can also depend on aero loads as well as a couple other things, but I'm simplifying here for noob reasons).

*Nobody here cares about the Genesis coupes, and what they run for spring rates will not apply at all to a 370. Ignore everything he has to say about this.

*You are partially correct about sway bars, except that they relate to roll stiffness for the most part.

Alright. Your arguments:
*Again, what spring rates you have depend on the chassis, as well as the suspension design.

*This might be true, but it also is car dependent. And any drive type can be a racecar. You just need to know how to drive them.

*If you're doing track days, completely ignore what autocross guys use for spring rates. For the majority, they need something that lets them change directions extremely fast, while controlling body movement in a short amount of time. You don't see these types of loads on a road course.

*Your tire sizing isn't bad, but the 275/295 split is somewhat. The height difference is pretty signifigant, and can throw the VDC system for a loop. That can be worked around, but the base issues will still be there.

*You're right on the money with sway bar choices, and I will be ordering my Hotchkis this week. (Pro Tip: Amazon has the Hotchkis for $208 shipped.)

*I prefer zero toe front and rear, but that suits my driving style. This is an area that has a bunch of conflicting answers, so I will just say try different settings and see what you like.

*camber is good, although you will need SPL upper control arms to actually adjust anything in the front. You might need more depending on what tires you are going to run.

*Ride height is also something you figure out what works for you and your setup. Personally, I won't be going much more than 2 inches front and rear, as I prefer how the car handles with very little rake.

And in reference to your comment about the Continental engineer, I will refer you to OptionZero's statement. You never know what he has sitting in his garage, or his experience levels. Never assume.

In closing, I will say that seat time trumps all things above for a novice. Once you learn how the car reacts when it's stock, you know what to change so the car better suits your driving style.

Last edited by Halfkiddio; 02-13-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Halfkiddio is offline   Reply With Quote