View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
Ape Factory
Base Member

Drives: Audi RS5/QX70S
Ape Factory will become famous soon enough

The BT dongle also allows you to change traction control settings as well as change the throttle curve (throttle hijack). I have to admit, it'd be a lot more convenient than the laptop and cable setup. I bought a dedicated, inexpensive PC laptop just for logging. It's fairly energy efficient so I can leave it in the car and only charge it every other week but to just launch the app and log via phone would be easier.

Honestly, by the time you get done paying for the cable and the tune, an additional $350 is a bit rich. Current ECUTek owners should get a discount or they should make that software available via the cable and a laptop. Hell, I used to be able to buy a full stand-alone ECU with datalogging for less than the complete ECUtek package and you can't even tweak/tune yourself. I see what the BMW and Audi guys have and I just have to shake my head at the cost and features offered on our platform. I wish Haltech had stepped up with a plug and play ECU.

On top of it all, the tune stays with the ECU so there's not much you're going to recuperate if you move on to another car (other than the cable).

But it's either the above or Uprev with no timing control. Great business model for the vendors but crappy for the end user.