View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

ZipNZ370,

I started this thread a while ago and had no responses until now. I see, as well, that you have been on three threads in the last day or so, on this convertible top issue you're presently having.

First let me say that Nissan sells FAR LESS roadsters than 370z coupes, and therein lies the biggest problem so many people are having with the roadsters. The Nissan service people just do not see enough convertibles in a given year to gain much first hand knowledge of working through the problems with them.

Then, too, the top mechanisms are complex (8 hydraulic rams, each has two limit switches, etc.), and many of the parts needing checking are sandwiched between the top material and the inner liner.

The factory service manual for the convertible top section alone is 249 pages long. A service tech may spend more time reading the service manual than actually working on the fix, as many individual part sections are referred back to other sections in the same 249 pages. Sure they have the Nissan Tech computer to point them to the trouble spot, if they're lucky perhaps, but they will never be any where as competent working on the top as they will be doing a brake job.

I agree your steering lock issue has long been a trouble spot for every model of Nissan since 2009 up until part way through 2011 models. Unfortunately they could have handled the issue far better, shame on them for not doing so, and you've been caught up in it with your 2010. Your online research has shown you that.

Personally I would continue to scream about it to the dealership, Nissan of America, and the better business bureau. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Myself, I have concerns about top failure with my 2016 roadster (11 000 mi at present) and watch it closely. I have downloaded the factory service manual here, read absolutely everything I can find on these top problems and fixes, and have worked on my own cars, many of them convertibles, for over 50 years. I suspect that if my top becomes a problem, I will tackle it myself, as much as possible. Having three other vehicles to drive, and a place to work on them and the tools makes it possible.

As for your top issue, I don't have an answer for you. Its out of warranty and its 7 years old. Maybe some firm but friendly letters to Nissan's head office will yield some results. Too often a bad experience with a certain make of vehicle destroys the customer relationship, and the customer moves on to another make, never to return. Yes, I've been there before myself in 1980 with Chrysler. And I vowed then that I'd never own another one, and I've kept my word. Include some similar language in your letters and see if that yields results. Fingers crossed for you!

Gene
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote