View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #3203 (permalink)
Ape Factory
Base Member

Drives: Audi RS5/QX70S
Ape Factory will become famous soon enough

Given the fact that they are using the exact same chassis as the outgoing model, with a few modifications, I don't see any particular weight savings in that area. If the dual clutch transmission comes with an aluminum magnesium hybrid case, there could be some weight savings there.

And Nissan may concentrate on keeping the center of gravity low, but unless they do employe lightweight construction techniques elsewhere, it isn't going to be that much lighter than the current car. I'm sure there are additional safety devices implemented due to regulations from the department of transportation, there may be additional weight penalties as a result of those "safety" features. Plus you have to look at the market and see what the competitors are offering on their vehicles. We can operate in a vacuum and just assumed that every 370z owner are all diehard enthusiasts like us, but we represent a very small portion of the overall ownership of this vehicle.

Too much of the running gear is exactly the same as the outgoing model sans the engine which of course is all new. And we already know that is slightly heavier than the outgoing naturally aspirated model. I can't to see them using smaller wheels, lighter brakes, etc. although I do you have hopes that they will indeed reduce the weight of the rest of the driveline. It's just that Nissan has a habit of dropping old parts in new bodywork and you can see it across their entire line of cars. They did it to the new Q60. That car doesn't even have an LSD in the RS version.

But two years can bring a lot of development. It'll be a long wait.