View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #3187 (permalink)
RicerX
Track Member

Drives: To the Pizza joint.
RicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
If Nissan is looking to use the Q60 platform? And the literally make it with that garbage azz New World Order Steering System. Don't expect a lighter car. That would mean more gratuitous use of carbon fiber. If that happens? It'll only happen in a Nismo. N it'll still weigh more because Nissan's Nismo body bracing weighs 88 lbs. So you gain and lose keeping the Z heavy.

That NWO PS4 steering has a heavy azz manual override steering column interlock further adding weight. Then factor in the numb steering, electronic handbrake, and other stupidities like hybrid batteries on certain models. The Z will probably be between 3,400lbs and 3,600lbs.

They'll say our base model is 53lbs lighter than our outgoing Nismo model yet out powers and out handles it on paper. It will just be a numb feeling appliance where excitement will be on the seat of the pants verses the visceral nature of the current Z. People will talk about how THE Z34 & 135 & EVO X were the last of the visceral analog cars and how the digital world has dulled cars.

Stick to being as close to analog as possible Nissan or it's goodbye from me. I rather spend double.

This company gets more disappointing by the day. EV this.... electronic that. Visceral is being written out if the dictionary. Fvckin NWO is killing the auto industry. Nothing is sacred anymore.

Rant Over.
While I enjoyed your rant, let me help you

The Q50 3.7L came into being with the same wheelbase as the outgoing G37 while being a couple inches longer (junk in the trunk and longer hood). It's a lower and wider car than the G37 and still barely managed to weigh within punching distance of the G by a few pounds (I believe its within 50lbs trim to trim). The platform is improved in rigidity over the one that underpins the current 370Z as well.

The Q50 also offers a NON SORCERER version of a steering system. It's electronically assisted power steering, but it's a real steering column and everything - that's how I ordered mine. A stripper Q50S RWD - no spare or anything. No goofy steering - just a regular *** rack and pinion setup. This is the base option for all Q cars - the Direct Adaptive Steering is optional. The auto mags would have you think otherwise since none of them apparently have the balls to ask for a Q50 without that system equipped, and then they **** on the car for having it equipped and not liking it. Motor Trend pissed me off with that review, but I digress.

On to the weight stuff - The Q50S RWD with no nav or tech weighs 3666 pounds with the cast Enkei 19s and run flats. That wheel and tire combination is 62lbs. 30lbs of that is the run flat tires (THEY SUCK). Swap to Michelin PSS and lose 5lbs per corner just with tires. Switch to the optional Rays wheel package on the 2015? Drop another 10lbs per corner. There's 60lbs in weight savings with just wheels and tires, and this particular setup you can expect to see equipped on a next gen Z's sport package. (to give you further perspective, the Q50S RWD pulled 0.86g on the skidpad with the Enkeis and Dunlop runflats equipped, and turned around to 0.95g on the skidpad with only adding the Rays wheel package... the chassis is exceptionally capable on this car).

A lot of the specs you see from the Q60 are the AWD version (extra weight), with all the tech bits we won't see in the Z. None of the current Q50/60 cars offer a forged lightweight wheel. They all have leather seating with climate control and multiple points of adjustment. All have sunroofs (most of the time, that's another 50lbs). All have more sound-deadening materials than you'll see in a Z (hell, drive a G37 and drive a 370Z right after and you can tell that difference). The Q50 has something silly like 10 or 12 speakers in the Bose system that's in it with an amplifier mounted into the rear deck. They both have that crazy InTouch system that adds serious weight, but I don't know if I can discount that as being unavailable in the next Z as some buyers want all that tech. (though mine is hilariously overdone since I don't have Nav)

Bottom line, I really don't see a 3300-ish lb version of the next gen Z to be outside of the realm of possibility. The VR30 with its turbos mounted is only 18lbs heavier than the VQ37... the absence of a lot of plush in the Q cars can make up significant ground quickly. In this light, it's gonna be ok. I promise!

Last edited by RicerX; 02-06-2017 at 10:02 AM.
RicerX is offline   Reply With Quote