View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #3124 (permalink)
triso07
Base Member

Drives: xxxxxxx
triso07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nithmo
2 transmission options? Sorry, Nissan doesn't sell enough of these to offer that, nor do they make enough money on these to offer that. Yes, I know there's the AT and MT now, but something tells me what you're asking for is cost prohibitive yet again.
Quote:
RicerX
The DCTs in Nissan's lineup? Which ones are those? Don't include the GT-R (since the GT-Rs GR6 transmission just won't port over to any other platform Nissan builds). Oh you mean Infiniti? The DCTs that Mercedes builds and provides that are mated to the 2.0L turbo motors also built and provided by Mercedes? Those are supposed to magically mate to some 450hp twin turbo V6 in the sky that Nissan is holding out on for the next gen Z? And handle the torque output? And be lighter than the trans assemblies in the current 370Z?
Quote:
JAR blue
And that's a terrible argument. Compared to the Z, your Evo with DCT is still way behind in the sports car market, so it's not even a good comparison. If your DCT (or any other for that matter) just swapped straight into the Z, then sure, there's no excuses for Nissan not to offer one as an option. Except that's not the case. The R&D to create a new DCT (or even a shared DCT) that works in the Z absolutely is not worth it with such low sales figures.

Best case is they develop a DCT to work in another, more marketable vehicle category to help with costs and it works with the new Z platform. Another option might be to design the new Z platform to work with an existing, earlier generation DCT. And yet another option is they change the target price point for the Z to accommodate any and all upgrades, in which case everything is pretty much up in the air as they could go in a number of directions with it. Bottom line is most people think a DCT in the new Z is doubtful, and your argument that it should be is wishful thinking. I don't think you'll find anyone here who thinks a DCT in the Z is a terrible powertrain option.
lol

Be careful when strongly stating opinions as fact, talking as though you're in the know, or speaking in absolute.
triso07 is offline   Reply With Quote