View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Firehawk View Post
So I got a killer deal on a set of heads on Facebook. This was not planned. The guy had this on a built motor running a lot of boost.

They came with custom ground tomei cams Installed. Specs are 280° duration and 11.5 lift, and it comes with upgraded valve springs ( Super Tech Dual valve springs). Cams and valve springs are installed, I just need to swap the heads.

I have the RJM billet gears ready to install
I have an ATI damper ready to install
I have Z1 headers ready to install
I have a ported upper, lower, and ported throttle bodies Installed
I'm also running Z1 intakes and dual 2.5 CBE. (Switching from AAM to F.I.)

I'm certain I'm going to max the injectors and pump. So yeah... i will need larger ones. Turbos are at least a year away, so what can I run that will support E85, and headroom for boost in the future without getting too large? I plan on staying in the 600 range when I do boost.

What can the stock rotating assembly handle safely with the heads, billet oil pump gears, and and ATI damper Installed? The seller told me the heads can handle 9k+rpm. Now I don't feel comfy spinning VVEL that high lol, what are your thoughts?

Do you think the Z1 intakes will become a restriction point? They're 2.5". I can do those super sized filters, but the piping stays the same.

Would it be wise to upgrade the head studs while they're off?

This will most likely be the last of the NA mods I'll be adding. I haven't returned the car with the ported parts and she was making 327/270 STD. I'll most likely have to do this in stages due to costs. Add the headers, retune, then do the rest later...

I know I kinda just threw this out there, I'm hoping you guys out there with more experience than myself can chime in. I'm not expecting otherworldly gains, but it would be fun to finally see some more results for our NA brethren.
If I was doing this, I'd upgrade the head studs while it's apart. $ wise, it makes good sense. All the V8's I've done either went with studs or at the very least, upgraded the bolts.

I would think the Z1 intakes would be fine, I don't recall seeing anyone here running larger intake piping, but TBH, I've not looked real close.

When you say 'what can the stock rotating assembly handle', do you mean RPM or HP? If you are planning on running the motor around 7-8k all the time, then you need to make sure everything is balanced, otherwise, motor go boom....
HP wise, IIRC the stock internals can handle up to 600 hp, give or take. Again, if you are planning to run 600+ hp, it's worth the peace of mind to do the lower end work at the same time.

The other option is to pick up another engine, build the whole thing for the HP/torque range you are planning to run and use the new heads on that one. That way, you can do it in stages, then swap it in with TT's attached. Just another thought.

Either way, GL. I'm interested to see how it all comes together.