View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
King
Base Member

Drives: 2015 370Z Pearl
King is on a distinguished road

I built the mold shape in the space with all the cardboard boxes I had lying around from ordering all the pieces. There are a number of studs coming off the body poking up into my space I just stuck Rubber caps on. If you're really desperate for space or really brave i guess you could cut them off.

Notice the edge space I left for the Speakers.
Here you can see the hands free box I just mentioned and the wire I ran for the speakers, hanging out.

Then Masking. It is super nerve racking using a buttload of epoxy resin inside your baby. I lined the box with 3M drop Cloth and Packaging tape because in my preliminary tests Epoxy doesn't stick to them. Mold Release was not necessary, and seemed to put a film on the surface of the finished epoxy that was almost impossible to get off and prevented additional coats from sticking.

Next CARBON!!!!
Same process as the Faceplate. Lay down a thin coat, Let it tack. Lay Down Carbon Fiber Fabric, Soak with epoxy. Let dry.

I'm sure not using multiple sheets and a vacuum process on the initial lay you could say I'm not truely benefiting from the strength of carbon fiber. Whatever, I Gambled It worked. I spent the next month with the box adding additional layers of carbon and epoxy to thin spots and reinforcing things. Laying the box at one angle and working on one part at a time because epoxy runs as it dries. It really wasn't a pretty picture. But it was for weight not looks.
King is offline   Reply With Quote