View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ventruck
Track Member

Drives: '13 Sport+Touring M6
Ventruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond repute

Tubes + Filters is a mod that really is in your head for the most part. Jordo documented some gains but in reality it's hardly noticed. You just know there *has* to be more power. I did it out of principal to squeeze out whatever bits of added response comes from removing the resonator. My car is a daily so I try to keep it as hassle-free as possible.

It's a funny thing, though. People can find the tubes+filters to be negligible over stock, and other people can find long tube intakes to have negligible gains over tubes+filters in complete perspective due to serviceability, gains concentrated one end of the power band (this may change with a tune), and heat soak. Then add in the select posts that will suggest there's a power loss in the end with the bumper on in real world conditions, etc....There's a fair share of grey area to how much you really get out of it for the money.

In the context of being a weekend car, indeed better if you just do it right the first time. No point in dropping that hundred-something, wasting time installing it (or paying someone to do it), then trying to flip it when it can all be one and done with the long-tube setup you ultimately want. It's cooler without a doubt. Anytime someone looks under my hood and they ask about the intake, I give them an underwhelming "ehh, just tubes and filters" response.

As far as a tune goes. I'm very big on it, especially after you have bolt-ons. The throttle response fix is an essential for this car. Radiator fan adjustment can also lessen the need for adding an oil cooler depending where you live.

I always wondered if there's an updated take on the Stillen G2. I know an older post cited gains, as well as another that noted fit issues. I'm just intrigued because it is still heat shielded, and what I presume to be the same fundamental design as OEM with larger diameter tubing.
Ventruck is offline   Reply With Quote