View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #56 (permalink)
Tenny
Base Member

Drives: '15 370Z M6, '14 R6
Tenny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseZ View Post
I've never used an android tab, but assume developer mode is something you can set it to by default? Or do you need to do something to the OS to make that happen?

I'd be doing a parmanent install too and these android tablets are so cheap that makes it feasible. As long as it works with the DashCommand app, has Bluetooth, and will power on and off with the car that's all I need for me anyways. Not trying to replace my head unit or anything like that, I just want the additional gauges for monitoring.

And if this can be pieced together for a couple hundred bucks or less like it sounds like then il certainly give it a try.

Nexus 7 works really well for this, and is not very difficult to mess with either. I have my nexus 7 (2012 version, cost like $60 to buy and is in great operating condition) completely set up and ready, I've just been lazy about finishing the set up. USB ROM for Nexus 7 is perfect for setting up a Nexus 7, and you can get the 2012 version for free if you search. It doesn't have any more continued updates, but it's free. I believe there is a 2013 version released but costs some money. It has more support for it. Little fuzzy on the details though I did all this set up/research back in August.

Here is a link for some info:
https://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

Here is how I set up my Nexus:

It turns on automatically with car boot if its plugged into power and will immediately shut off into a deep sleep mode when power is stopped. Mine is set up to use torque with an OBD32 plug via bluetooth, but dash command is also viable. The biggest cost would be trying to make it look OEM like which is what I'd like. Wish there was a plug and play option.

Just messing around a while back with positioning and how it felt to use while driving and all.

Last edited by Tenny; 01-20-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Tenny is offline   Reply With Quote