View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
atw257
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Nismo MB M6
atw257 is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent Power Loss

This issue has been happening the past few days and has me worried. I haven't been able to find anything online specifically relating to what I'm seeing.

I first noticed it when I was driving on the highway a few days ago. I started to hear a strange noise from my exhaust. A louder than normal rumble. About 30 seconds later all the power on the car cut off and back on really fast. This happened 2 or 3 times in quick succession. Even though power seemed to cut out I didn't notice a change in rpm or acceleration. Car seemed to still be driving the same except for the momentarily loss of power.

I tried resetting the ECU and the car seemed to be fine for the next couple of days.

Today on my way to work I started to hear the loud rumble from my exhaust again while on the highway. I decided to try and down shift into 5th gear to see what happened. This caused the car to momentarily lose power again, but the exhaust noise went away. A few minutes later the noise started to come back and I down shifted as soon as I heard it an the noise went away without power cutting out this time, so I shifted back into 6th gear. A few minutes later I heard the exhaust noise again, so I let it go a little longer this time before I downshifted to 5th gear. This time the power cut out momentarily again.

All in all it seems that if I can downshift to 5th as soon as I hear the noise and then shift back into 6th I won't have the power loss. If I wait awhile after I start hearing the exhaust noise, whether I down shift or not, I will eventually lose power momentarily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My only thought at this time is it may be a faulty CAM position sensor or I need to have my ECU tuned. This did seem to just start happening after I put a new cat back exhaust system on from fast intentions. Not sure why the exhaust would cause these issues though.

2009 370z Nismo 6MT 75k miles.
atw257 is offline   Reply With Quote