View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
husam2012
Track Member

Drives: 370Z Nismo
husam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond reputehusam2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Default GT-R turbos on the VQ37

Edit: Here's a walkthrough of the kit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrwS4ru2ak

Hello everyone out there! I had an idea a while back and today i thought, why not?!

Basically, my goal is to make my car faster for the least amount of money i can spend, so i started thinking of ideas and parts that could help me do that.

After looking into the gains per $ going NA, it was obvious that it's not worth it at all for how expensive every little part is.

After a lot of research and comparing the VQ37 against the VR38, it was apparent that the only thing needed to use the GT-R turbos on our engines was either:
1- Tap new studs where the GT-R manifold bolts (Simiar to GTM's V1 TT)
2- Make an adapter plate that simplifies the work

An example of an adapter plate:

After searching everywhere, there was almost nobody who tried this idea or even attempted to start it. The only thing i found that made me sure that it's possible is a German workshop who have successfully used GT-R turbos on both the 350Z and 370Z, using the same adapter plate for both.

So i decided to start this project, but due to college and work plus needing the car to commute to college, i'm unable to drop my engine to work on making the adapter plate.

By doing this, the only thing needed is to supply my own intercooler and intercooler piping plus a downpipe and the oil lines etc, which isn't too hard with any mechanical knowledge. (Plus the obvious mods needed to support the extra power)

I can almost make everything locally with the help of a friends shop and a mandrel bending facility nearby. Just need help with making them bolt on.

I've already got a source for the turbos and will have them shipped to me within a week or two, and now trying to source a damaged block (to check motor mount clearances), or to just use header flanges to make the adapters.

So what I am asking here is, is there anyone willing to help me with this project, and in turn, i will document my whole process plus even sell the adapter plates (I'm able to make them at a friends shop) plus any small parts needed to bolt on the Turbos.

Here's an example of the turbos bolted on to the VQ37:

(Note how the manifold bolts to the head)

Updates:
4/18/17

7/1/18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfYz0LX5iVQ

Last edited by husam2012; 10-14-2020 at 10:17 PM.
husam2012 is offline   Reply With Quote