View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by triso07 View Post
There is nothing hyped about the Cayman. It is every bit as good as the reviews say it is. The 981 model also sounds glorious with the flat 6 and is extremely well built and usable without all the drawbacks of the Alpha.

As a pure toy, maybe this is reasonable, otherwise ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyL-5WQzMQE
I'm not saying it doesn't drive great. But here are some unavoidable facts you might want to ponder on to understand where I'm coming from.

Feedback is almost nill from Porsche electronic power steering.

Everything glorious about the current gen Cayman is based on electronic intervention. Be it, steering feel, intelligent traction control distributing power to each wheel. Computer controlled damping etc.... all of what's happening is artificial to make you look like a champion.

Get in a Z. Turn off VDC, Get over 30mph and all your electronic assists are off. Even with vdc on you just don't get the same level of intervention.

Sure Porsche intervention is seamless. It's about as perfect as a traction system can be. But the advantages of a Porsche ECU will always be the dominant factor of your driving experience. Your inputs are always enhanced.

That is not true of a Z. The meaning of a drivers car had been skewed in the new millennium.

A 4c.... now that's what a real sports car should be. Same as the viper.