Thread: FI vs NA
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crash
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 02 Corvette Z06
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute

If you want massive power but don't want to pay that much, you can go nitrous. Then it's all on you when you actually want to use that power.

Turbos are really nice, not as great as some may say, but they're worth their salt. A lot of people go head-over-heels for a turbo setup, but in my honest opinion they're only good for the 1/4 mile. Turbos aren't very predicable and when they kick, they kick extremely hard. It takes a lot of time to learn a turbo to the point that you can control it's boost through the gas peddle.

Superchargers are easier to control, but have less power-making potential for extremely high power output situations. Although, you can easily achieve the power you want with pretty much any blower. For example, a centrifugal blower can easily put a 3.7L engine over 500RWHP. I don't know how they'd do it on the VQ37, but it's just a 'for instance'.

I'm picking up a Z06 Corvette that makes 700HP at the crank (570+RWHP) on a 8 PSI blower for $32K. The motor is fully built and the car is reliable while driving just like it did out of the showroom. If you REALLY want bang-for-your-buck, TTing a new car is anything but that.

However, a TT Z34 is simply bad @ss and I'm sure you'd be happy spending the extra 5K. Save or take out a loan. I'd do it if I were you.