View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 01:03 AM   #899 (permalink)
jchammond
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13’ 370Z TS 7A/T
jchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond repute

When the steering lock is working normal & the start button is pressed; it unlocks the steering,by retracting a locking pin....thus enabling you to turn steering wheel if desired.
When the pin retracts into the lock assembly; it also internally presses against an electrical switch/ activating the ignition.....so when the brakes are applied;results are engine start-up.
Pending that the proper fuse was removed,,,something is internally not making the electrical connection within the steering lock mechanism.
If your steering wheel is locked & doesn't turn-then somehow your lock pin is creeping back out and removing the internal pressure from closing the contacts of the internal switches,that power up the ignition.........To bang on the steering lock w/ fuse out is confusing to me; as it would not have electrical power to retract the pin inside (that performs the locking).
Could be unlocked & banging is causing internal switches to close & power to pass through; so your car starts up.
Interesting/ as I plan to remove mine pretty soon & see exactly how this thing operates & exactly what electrical features are being left on (after fuse removal).
SouthArk has really helped a lot of people w/ this issue & I would like to help him shed some more light on the topic.
Just glad mine isn't a DD or it would make it more difficult to perform .
I will follow up on my findings & report everything (including photos)
Have a nice day & I'm going to enjoy my less than 1" of snow that we are supposed to receive.
Thanks to all for any inputs on this subject. ✌️

http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...s-musings.html
jchammond is offline   Reply With Quote