View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #8866 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhovah View Post
I don't feel like I do those things.. It's possible I inherited it as well. My 2011 was already doing it when I bought it... my 2013 started doing it within 5k or so. Both were bought with 20-25k on the clock...

I would have figured getting the rotors turned would create a new surface to work from, no? I had it done on my 2011 and the problem did come back 10k later.
Once you turn rotors, you decrease the cross sectional area (the part that helps shed heat) because they are now thinner (overstating the obvious, but....)
When they can't transfer heat efficiently, it makes them more prone to pad material transfer. Most places that turn rotors, cut them down to the minimum and call it good. When I used to do them, I only took enough material off to true up the rotor.

On most of the cars I've owned recently, I've replaced the rotors at the same time that I replace the pads. The price of rotors (for most domestic & imports) have come down to a price point that makes sense. Then again, I'm one of these strange individuals that start buying replacement parts (brakes, rotors, belts, tensioners, pulleys, etc) the day after I buy a car. I know I'm going to have to replace that stuff, why not buy it piece at a time... less out of the wallet in one chunk...