Thread: To tune or not
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
jchammond
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13’ 370Z TS 7A/T
jchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond reputejchammond has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mults View Post
I have some time during the winter storage months to determine whether or not to get a tune in the spring (Uprev or Ecutek) with the mods that I currently have:

• Berk HFC and CBE
• R2C CAI

I am not too concerned what brand of tune I may use (although there is a Uprev tuner close by), but whether or not I will see any benefits in HP gains or drive-ability. As of now, the car runs great and the A/F ratios seem to be where they need to be (using the Torque Pro app), and the MPG is terrific (~ 30MPG on the freeway).

So, my questions to those who have tuned:

1) Would you do it again?
2) Are the HP/drive-ability improvements worth the $600 charge?

I hate to mess up what I have just to get a few HP. I appreciate any insight to those in the know...
Mult's, I apologize from getting off topic on your thread.
I had my 11'base touring A/7 dyno'd locally on a Dyno-Jet before any mods were performed & the result's were 271hp/4th gear pull & 275hp/5th gear pull (5th hit speed limiter of 156).
Those number's were probably average for stock (-K&N Drop in's).
I added the basic Z1 CAI & Fast Intention's resonated TP's and 18" resonated 2.5"TDX CBE,,,I noticed an increase in power & a really exotic exhaust note...
No check eng. light's came on during the 600mile's of driving before i had tuned.
Took it to Z1 Motorsports on a warm muggy Late May 16' & made just over 290whp on their base line pulls (AFR was low 12:1's)....after JonP Tuned it with the Up-Rev'; it put down an additional 20rwhp...& was another noticeable (seat of the pant's gain).
Sitting just over 310 & Lusting over the Z1 header's (that i can't get yet) I up-graded my CAI & had a good friend fabricate my crash bar...I do all my install's/so everything went back in place (exactly) including all of foam on front..(minus very small slit cut in foam to slide over the cai bracket's i fabricated to hold them up)...Just waiting to see how bad the IRS is going to treat me this year & Header's,ported upper & lower's will be next & then a RE-TUNE....Shooting for 340'ish.
My ~Z~ also netted 25/26mpg all of the time w/29mpg being the best on road trips & 23 being the worst...Currently average 24mpg & the best i've seen since was 27 & 21mpg for a worse....so lost about 2mpg after mods/tune...but gained right at 40rwhp in 4th gear pull.
I also drive it harder than before...so that can contribute to the mpg loss...
I would do it,if it was mine for a few reason's;;; Knowing you're getting the most from your mod's/Knowing that you engine is operating in the correct AFR range & No more speed limiter ( )....You will notice a difference in power.
Just my 2cent's & I Apologize for bs'ing on your thread w/Z-Girl 12.

http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...s-musings.html
jchammond is offline   Reply With Quote