View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 11:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
charnathan
Base Member

Drives: 14 370z Nismo MB M6
charnathan is on a distinguished road

( Click to show/hide )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseZ View Post
Why don't you look at incorporating a small curb along that front lower edge so nothing needs to be modified. I think you will find many more people receptive when it is more plug and play - which is the reason none of the similar past efforts have really taken off.

Personally I don't think alcantara is necessary, though the as printed look is probably something I'd have to see. That said I don't mind painting something to clean it up myself.

In all honesty, I would have gone the route of a plug and play if I had a 3D scanner. But the high end ones are costly (30k to 70k) to get a good resolution and then I could scan all the parts that it interfaces with.

I also thought of a way to save the cubby and incorporate a system similar to the lid, but it was either going to be too small of a tablet/phone or too big of a housing that looked god awful to have there. I even wanted to reuse the latch mechanism, but after a few months of development I said @#$% it and went to integrate it into dash itself.

( Click to show/hide )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka2581 View Post
I prefer a nice clean look / finish, I like the leather and or a carbon fiber finish.

I do like the idea of a clean look too, but I think the cost will be an issue with some over that. So I'll more than likely offer two options: 1) as printed straight from the printer or 2) with alcantara (assuming I can find a fabrication shop I like and is willing to do this low volume work)

Carbon Fiber is not simple to do with this current design, nor do I have experience with working with Carbon Fiber, so that will be out of the question for the near future (never say never I guess, as I am starting to play around, but I'd have to make molds for this to work on this design)

After I get a feel that more and more people will want to look into this, I'll have both options shown in this thread before I make a thread in the marketplace for sale.

I'll also probably have to start off with only the Galaxy Tab S2 8" first and then offer the iPad Mini for others like yourself Wonka2581. I just want to make sure the files are updated correctly to fit everything and I'll have to get an iPad Mini 4 to do so.

( Click to show/hide )
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak9i6 View Post
I'd be interested in your 3D files so I could adjust and print myself a screen mount

If this becomes a dead project, I might be willing to sell it to you, but it you would need to have access to a 3D CAD software like SOLIDWORKS to make it easily modified, as that it what I used to design this.
2014 Nismo #0614 Magnetic Black (stock for now...)
charnathan is offline   Reply With Quote