View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
Ape Factory
Base Member

Drives: Audi RS5/QX70S
Ape Factory will become famous soon enough

After a few days, I can say the traction situation is much improved. I think a bit of it is down to alignment and a lot of it is due to switching to the Michelins.

I need to lower the car a whopping 2mm in the front and 6mm in the rear to be at the recommended height for the coilover setup and I'll probably get yet another alignment, getting closer to -.10 instead of -.04 where I'm at now.

On the rear, I'd like to subtract a bit of camber and come in at the -1.2 to -1.3 range assuming he didn't need to put them at -1.5 to get my toe in spec. I don't have toe bolts and I made the mistake of not talking to the alignment guy before leaving. I need to make sure the SPL arm length isn't an issue along with no toe bolts. SPL can provide a longer camber arm. If I have to do toe bolts, I'll get camber lockout bolts as well.

It never ends, does it?

And on a final note, over really nasty low-speed stuff, like entering a super steep driveway at an angle, I got a bit of noise from the SPC turnbuckle camber arms. If you purchase these, plan on bending the inboard sheetmetal on the leading arm back ever so slightly above the mounting bolt. Shouldn't have to do this but it is what it is at this point. And it's such a small section of the sheetmetal, literally smaller than the radius of a dime. It's happened only once but still...Then again I didn't have to cut any mounting bolts and there are no other interference issues. Adjustment is super easy and you can easily reach all of the nuts and turnbuckles with open end wrenches. Once the lock nuts are loose, you can rotate the turnbuckles by hand. Pretty quick to adjust things.