View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #106 (permalink)
Senna-F1
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370SC,EliseSC,MR2T
Senna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond reputeSenna-F1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx moneypit View Post
No.The nut will stop the same way it does when you are installing a wheel.
I think it's worth clarifying the answer to this because I'm not sure I follow that. The reason the nut stops turning when I'm installing the wheel is because *I* stop turning the nut. And the reason *I* stop turning it, is because I'm using a torque wrench, and it told me to stop turning it.

Neither of those comes into play when I put an impact gun on a nut to pull the stud through. With a gun, the nut will continue to turn, but at some point the stud will have stopped moving. No one has talked about being careful here or possibly stripping the stud by having the gun continue past the point where the stud is no longer being pulled. Seems to me that it would take very little to strip the stud if you are not careful. Some articles elsewhere on the web even mention not using more torque to pull the stud, than you would if you were installing a wheel.
Senna-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote