View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
tbonesteak
Track Member

Drives: MY09 MB 6MT
tbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond reputetbonesteak has a reputation beyond repute

Update: Custom rear plate LEDs!!!!

I checked out the direct plug n play bulbs you can get from vleds for the rear license plate lights, but i felt it didn't do an adequate job and i've also been hearing that those burn out so i decided to fabricate a much better solution. The result is an extremely well lit completely OEM looking solution. It is almost identical in color to the Lexus OEM ones but much much brighter. I can now reverse in complete darkness and have the leds illuminate all of the rear area.

Remove the housing and the bulbs. Just slide the entire housing sideways and it pops right out.

Pry open the housing. Take a small flathead and start prying from the corner with the most clearance. You have to apply quite a bit of pressure until you hear a crack. This is not going to crack the housing so you don't have to worry. You're just cracking the dried glue.

Take an LED panel such as this. This one could not fit any more perfect than it did without trimming anything.

Take a glue gun and create a pair of spacers between the LED panel and the surface of the housing. This helps run the wire out of the housing hole much easier and protects the led panel in many ways. This simple step sometimes is the difference between having a panel last 3 months to 5 years.

Then you just glue the housing back together, attach connector that comes with the led panel and plug the baby in.

Voila! Sorry i don't have any night time pictures yet but i will take some and post them tonight. These daytime pics do not do the lights any justice. They are so so bright and so white it is pleasing to my eyes when i look at them.

Thanks for looking and stay tuned for nighttime pictures later on!!

Tim
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote