View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhovah View Post
Not looking for a dash cam really.. want to put something similar to a backup cam in the front to help with parking... Your spatial awareness may work - but mine seems to be lacking lol. Probably 1/10 times I scrape the factory chin spoiler over a parking pylon and I have a set of Swift springs on the shelf waiting to go in one day... I figure I am going to need to solve the spatial awareness problem before lowering.
Well, it sounds like you are just talking about running over a wheel stop, which is much different than pulling up to a wall or other vehicle, at least in terms of spatial awareness due to the fact that the wheel stop disappears from view as you pull closer to it.

I stopped worrying about the plastic chin spoiler long ago. I don't think I hit it 10% of the time, but I bet I've done it far more times than you have given the 86K miles I've put on my Z. It's holding up just fine to this point - I shave it down with a razor blade occasionally to keep the edge looking clean. One thing to keep in mind is the Z is pretty short, so you don't have to pull up far into most parking spaces, which are typically 18-20' long (the Z is barely 14' long). I often find myself several feet back from the front of the space and the medium-sized truck adjacent to me sticks out further than my Z.

I know that pretty much all OEM parking aids have the sensors built into the bumpers. But the cameras typically are not. For example, my father's Rogue OEM camera system shows all the way around the car using a rear camera, a camera facing down on the bottom of each side view mirror, and one embedded in the Nissan emblem up front. It would be really cool if you could do something like that, but it would definitely take some customization. Your best bet is probably something in the front bumper opening. I feel like I could easily strap a camera to the plastic fins on my stock bumper, but I'm not entirely sure about other model years or aftermarket bumpers.

Nissan Rogue emblem w/o camera:
( Click to show/hide )

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote