View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
bcfromfl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2015 PW Nismo 6MT
bcfromfl will become famous soon enoughbcfromfl will become famous soon enough
Default Whatever happened to twin superchargers?

Hi everyone –

I’m considering a 370Z Nismo purchase, but only if it can be upgraded to my preferred stage of performance. I wish Nissan offered a bit beefier platform to work with! (For example, it’s possible to get 458RWHP from a non-aspirated 3.6l Porsche GT3.) I owned a turbocharged car many years ago, a 1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R (running 14.5psi), and while I know turbo kits have made significant improvements since then in terms of reliability, I don’t want to own another turbocharged vehicle. The car was fun to drive, to be sure, but it was a money pit, too, despite the high-quality competition parts I had installed. I didn’t like the lag, and the non-linear powerband as well.

I was intrigued by the possibilities offered by a twin supercharger on the Z, but after using the Search feature on this board extensively, I discovered that there are no new threads for this kit…the most recent seems to be from about three or four years ago. There is only one TSC build listed in the sticky, although I thoroughly enjoyed reading his excellent writeup: The Sophia Project (I can only imagine how sad it was to sell this car after all that work!) I also went down the list of sponsors of this board to see who might be selling and/or installing twin units, but all I could find were one or two doing the Stillen single. Based upon what I’ve read, I won’t consider the Stillen. The quality of some of the parts is questionable, and the maps seem to be poorly-coded. I read the thread detailing the air-to-air conversion…holy cow…I don’t have the tools/experience necessary, and I know there are no shops nearby who could do this if I went this route. I also found the threads discussing the GTM/Gamma debacle. That’s certainly enough to give me pause about even taking a gamble on ordering parts!

If I do a Google search, I also come up with Vivid Racing and Horsepower Freaks selling what looks like the same twin-unit GTM (Modern Auto Performance?) offers. However, they don’t specify that it will work/fit with newer Z models (I’m assuming the newer models require different mapping). Are the units available for purchase now, unsold leftovers from the tooling several years ago, and just passed around from seller to seller via wholesaling? And where are the pro shops familiar with installation?

Are most enthusiasts just installing the TT kits for the most bang-for-the-buck and possible future upgrades, and not messing with the TSC kits because they don’t have the same potential? Or is there something else I’m missing? If I'm understanding correctly, it seems that SS Firehawk was able to see something on the order of 50-75 more horsepower at an equivalent psi over a single SC. I don’t race, drop the clutch, or otherwise pound a car, and am just looking for 450-475 RWHP with the stock exhaust on pump gas. (Not a fan of loud exhaust, or noisy blow-off valves, for that matter.) If I can reach my horsepower goal with 7-8psi instead of 10-12 from a single unit, then I would say it’s worth the extra money.

Thanks!
bcfromfl is offline   Reply With Quote