View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
ZOperaMan
Base Member

Drives: 09 TT370z Yellow 6MT
ZOperaMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
There was probably some miscommunication, there is no reason the oil pan spacer would cause the oil pressure light to come on. (Unless there was a leak sealing the pickup tube spacer to the pump, rather unlikely but possible)

I suspect that the cause and effect might be reversed from your explanation... a dip in idle to the point that the engine almost stalls can cause the oil pressure light to activate. Since the oil pump is crankshaft driven, when the engine speed is too low it will not generate oil pressure.

Also, the post about a tech plugging in and measuring pressure.. they were not being honest with you. The 370z does not have an oil pressure sensor to check the pressure. It merely has an oil pressure switch, which only activates to turn on the oil pressure light when pressure is very low.
There's another thread with a similar issue: Low Oil Pressure at Idle

Regarding the oil pressure measurement, I am trying to figure out what exactly was being communicated to me about the pressure reading. I don't know if there is an aftermarket pressure sensor installed, or if the software reads or estimates pressure some other way. I should know more on Saturday. They intend to connect a diagnostic oil pressure gauge directly to try and find out exactly what's happening, and I'll post an update.

--ZOM
ZOperaMan is offline   Reply With Quote