Thread: Road Noise
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
Second Skin
Base Member

Drives: Infiniti ex35
Second Skin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsteve View Post
engine noise wanted, exhaust noise wanted, road noise not wanted so what would be best for this? The rear wheel wells need something and the hatch area is more of an air noise in my case only a little noise from underneath.

In order to tartget specific type of noise you need to treat the area closest to the noise.

Road noise is a bit more difficult than the rest, since there are 4 tires, placed on all 4 corners of the vehicle.

I would start with 2 gallons of a good noise coating in the wheel wells and quart panels on the underside of the car
Treat the sheet metal that surrounds the tires as well as inside the quarter panels if you can access them.

Next, go for a vibration mat on top of the wheel wells in the hatch (inside the car)and under the hood. Under the hood might be difficult. Some cars only have a small amount of sheet metal exposed from the top of the wheel wells. Just do your best.

Last, use a noise barrier inside the car on top of the vibration damper surrounding the wheel wells and quarter panels.
You may have to do a bit of the trunk/hatch floor with the damper and the barrier becuase of the way the noise travels through the sheet metal.

If you used our product you would go with something like

Damplifier Pro or SPL Tiles (as the vibration mat)
Spectrum (as your acoustical undercoating)
Luxury Liner Pro (as your noise barrier)

There are lots of good product out there, and I am obviously biased, being the owner of Second Skin so do your research and see what works for you. Our product can be expensive if you go with the better ones we offer, but you get what you pay for.
We also have less expensive options for people looking to save some money as well. Again, look around. Whether you use Seocnd Skin or not, there are deals to be found if you do your homework.

Hope that helps!

ANT
Second Skin is offline   Reply With Quote